Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Poor Kitty


Gracie the Wonder Cat has been ill since last Thursday. Okay, we didn't realize she was sick until early Saturday, but then knew the sneezing she was doing on Thursday must have been the start of it.

What really tipped us off was that there was food left in her dish in the afternoon. When this cat leaves food behind, there is definitely something wrong.

So, I called the vet on Monday, but couldn't get an appointment until Tuesday evening. OS and I took off after work yesterday to go see what was wrong. As he put it, "The cat's broken. Fix it."

The vet doesn't know exactly what's wrong. She wanted to do blood tests and x-rays that would cost over $250 (plus another $215 for more basic stuff) to find out. Hey, I don't have $250 that isn't already earmarked for bills.

She was running a fever, not eating or drinking much, and sneezing like crazy. I okayed giving her subcutaneous fluids, checking her icky ears for mites (nope! I told the tech she didn't have them), and an antibiotic. With the office visit, it came to $120. That I could handle.

The fluids seemed to do her the most good. She was pretty perky this morning--almost her old self. If she'll just eat and drink, now, I'll stop worrying so much.

This is the best cat I've ever shared a home with in my entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment