Monday, April 04, 2005

Thoughts on marriage and dating

This weekend, I went to a wedding and out on a first meeting/date.

The wedding was interesting, in that it was her third and his fourth, and yet they still did the big white wedding dress and tuxedo thing. I mean, his grandchildren were in the wedding party. How many time, between the two of them, have they pledged their undying love to someone...else? Hello? Am I the only one who thinks that perhaps a formal wedding was overkill in this situation? Oh well. It was a good party.

On Sunday, I met a gentleman with whom I'd connected through Tickle matchmaking. I think it went well, although I did my usual babbling getting to know you performance. Sometimes, I just can't turn off my mouth. It didn't seem to bother him. Which is good. Because, one never plans to babble. It just happens. If one knew it was going to happen, one could prevent it.

ANYway, we were talking about online dating services. He asked why I had contacted him, based on his ad. Well, he was in the right age range, he seemed smart, he didn't specify he was looking for "trim, athletic build" or a racketball partner. Nor did he say he was looking for someone to go camping and hunting with him. He likes science fiction and movies, so it seemed worth a shot. I've been doing this long enough that I can handle a "no thank you" without suffering a wounded soul.

So, here's my analogy: Placing a singles ad is like announcing a casting call. Answering one is saying, "Yeah, I'd like to try out for this part." Then, you e-mail and chat online and/or on the phone, and that's like submitting your resume. The first meeting is an audition. You'll get cut, or hired on the spot, or called back for another audition, if they're not sure you're right for them.

I think the audition went well. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment