Monday, June 21, 2010

Oops

Forgot to post yesterday...
Friday evening, I went to see GL in the hospital and then came home and went on a major eating binge. The list is ridiculous, so it won't be posted here. Suffice it to say, at least 1000 calories were consumed between 9:30 pm and 2 am.

She is still in the hospital, and likely won't be released until tomorrow. Today I've been to see her, gone to the to nursing home to put away her clean clothes (and pick up another load), and make sure no one has "stolen her stuffed animals". Oh, went to Sprouts to buy healthy stuff to eat, too. That's put away, and the dishwasher is running, so my work is done for the day unless I feel like doing more.

So, here's the good news: her granddaughter is driving here from Albuquerque with the great-grandkids to spend a week. She will also get her father to go talk to his mother. The daughter-in-law is to be left at home, as GL hates her with a passion. Seeing her would only set off unnecessary and unfortunate fireworks.

Nothing could make me happier than seeing her make peace with her son. Granddaughter is taking an active hand in that. As she put it, "If he doesn't do this now, he'll regret it the rest of his life." That girl gets smarter all the time. At the rate GL's mind is deteriorating, who knows how much longer she'll be able to recognize and understand them and enjoy their company. If they're going to have quality time together, this may be their last chance.

My short-term disability approval came through. After two nights of minimal sleep, I believe I will finally rest tonight.

It's easy to see why I need the time and medical attention. As I opened the envelopes, my hands started to shake to the point where I almost couldn't hold on to them. Seeing the approval caused tears (gee, the first today...wonder if I'll match the tally for yesterday), and some confusion about paperwork. I'll have to call them tomorrow to ask specifically what I'm supposed to do with each page.

It's difficult to follow written or verbal instructions unless I go over every detail slowly. Otherwise, it all gets muddled and goes out of my head. There are sticky notes all over the house, including on my purse so I don't forget to take things with me when I go, and make stops where something has to be done. My mind just doesn't work this way, usually. I know what it feels like to go senile now. Not good.

There are times when I think it wouldn't be good for me to drive, so I don't. Other times I'm clearer, and do just fine.

Later:

Before heading over there, GrandDaughter texted me to say the nurses at PDR said GL wouldn't drink, eat, or pick up the phone. She asked me if she ought to bring some food with her. I told her Burger King onion rings and/or cinnamon graham crackers, and diet Mountain Dew. If GL won't eat those, she won't eat anything.

Sheesh! What a weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment