Sunday, July 11, 2010

Cellular Etiquette -- is there such a thing? Discuss amongst yourselves.

When someone answers their cell phone in the middle of a face-to-face conversation with me, I feel as if I've been left in a waiting room somewhere...looking at the wall hangings and wondering when I'll be allowed back in...ugh.

Call waiting is okay when I'm really waiting for an important call, and wind up talking to someone else in the meantime. If that's the case, I warn the person I'm talking to that I might have to leave quickly because of the (whatever the importance is). If that doesn't suit, I can always call them back at another time.

Otherwise, I take note of whoever has called, and continue the original conversation without ever answering the incoming call.

I just know all these people aren't doctors or Hollywood agents. Unless someone's life is in danger or a minimum of a million bucks is on the line, do NOT answer that call unless you're alone, or in a place where your conversation doesn't impose on those around you.

I actually had this experience:

I was waiting in a line...for a movie? a show? a checkout line? doesn't matter...and a woman a few feet away from me was on her cell phone. She spoke VERY loudly, and was clearly quite upset about the subject at hand.

By the time she noticed me looking at her, I knew waaaaay more about her personal life than I ever wanted. She said, into her phone, "Hold on a minute!" And then, to me, she shrilled, "What's YOUR problem!? Why don't you mind your own business?" I replied, "I'd love to, but you're making it so difficult."

She must have served in the Navy, based on the names she called me then. Everyone else around us gave me the thumbs-up, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment