Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thursday....the....29th...yeah, that's it.

My iGoogle home page had a link to instructions for making a wedding cake out of tiered cupcakes, which led me to inexpensive wedding suggestions, which led me to how to have a friend ordained so they can perform your ceremony legally.

I've been accused, with much spit and venom, of being a secular humanist (by a raving BAC cousin). Don't have a problem with that--it's probably true, just not a bad thing as he apparently believes. But maybe I'm a spiritual humanist. I took a look at the website, and can see correlation with my gut feelings about life, the universe, and everything. Yes, I know. 42.

Human beings need ritual of some kind as a bonding agent for a sense of community. Even as an atheist, I still like to go to certain religious holiday celebrations with "believer" friends. The traditions are comfortable and warming, even though I don't buy a word of the prayers being said or the doctrine espoused. It's nice to have a pretty tree in the living room at Christmastime, and to give gifts to friends and family. Thanksgiving is a great time to be with people you love and share a special meal. Why aren't "people" a good enough reason to get together to celebrate and be glad for what you have?

Sleep was screwed up last night. Meds didn't kick in until very late, or something, because I was still awake at three. First opened an eyeball sometime around nine, did my necessaries, and promptly fell back into bed to sleep for another hour and a half. Would have been later, but got a call from GL's nursing home letting me know she's moving to another room in long-term care.

It would be a very good thing if the anti-depressants the doc ordered after her psych eval work for her. I surely would be depressed if I had to live there, too, and I don't even have her history of happy feet when it comes to living accommodations. She hasn't been a joyful and/or satisfied person for most of her life, although she's made the best of what she had most of the time. It would be good if we could shoot for "not miserable" and get close.

Half the day is gone, and I haven't exercised or gone out. Given my mental state right now (lack of sleep and waking up to GL issues), going out to check the mail may be my self-challenge for the day. It will require putting on clothing and going out the back gate. Anything more than that will be gravy. Oh! Wait! I need to schedule a mammogram! That would make TWO things I don't like to do in one day. I'm set.

Tomorrow, a trip to the nursing home may be in order. I have a gift to bring (a quilt) and can see her new room. That's all the ambition I can screw together for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment