Tuesday, July 27, 2010

If it's Tuesday, I must be at the doctor's office...

Psych this morning and therapist this afternoon.

Meds are working as intended, apparently, although I've developed the social habits of the Unibomber over the past couple of months. It's time to test their effect against people/tasks/situations that cause stress and anxiety.

That's my assignment over the next few weeks: keep doing what's good for me, while easing back into the world to see if and where there are still weak spots that need attention (in my mind--the world will have to take care of itself for a while). Plus, I need to keep track of my efforts so minds outside my own head can gauge how I'm doing.

While I'm at it, I need to make sure I take the extra Vitamin D the PCP recommended after the lab tests last week.

The one concern I have about the medicine is that I feel like I'm sitting next to myself--not completely in my own skin. Detached? Very. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

3 comments:

  1. Sue, Prozac will sometimes do that. I think it's a side effect of the meds. Perhaps you need to weigh the uncomfortable sensation of being detached from your own skin with the positive effects of the med. I don't know if you're on Prozac but I have heard that of that particular drug. Otherwise, you sound 100 percent better than two weeks ago, or even one week ago, girl. I'm taking extra Vit D, too, but I'm surprised you need it with all the sun you get in Arizona. Good luck, Sue, and if I can help at all, with feedback or encouragement or support or whatever, please let me know how I can help. You're going to be all right, you know. You're going to be just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new regimen is Pamelor, which may be the only anti-depressant I hadn't tried over the course of 13 years.

    Prozac was an ugly (blessedly short) experience for me.

    As for Vitamin D deficiency, it's more common here in the Sunny Southwest than you might expect. It's so hot, and the sun is so direct, we are conditioned to stay out of it as much as possible.

    Skin Cancer vs. Osteoporosis...I'll take the pills.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You write very well, Sue, and I know from our phone conversations you're also very articulate in your speech. You possess a witty, sometimes almost acerbic, brilliant and questioning mind which I feel is very important to you, as is mine to me. Is it coincidence that our minds sometimes betray us? It's a fine line...I'll google Pamelor. It may be new.

    ReplyDelete