Friday, August 06, 2010

A Very Good Day

Over the past few weeks (or is it months?), getting the right amount of sleep has been troublesome. Without meds, 5 hours. With meds, up to 20 out of 24. I'm dancing alone the dosage line, trying to find the sweet spot. It is elusive, but I may be close to it now. Either that, or I'm not feeling the sleep deficit because I can nap whenever it's needed here at home. There are three weeks to figure this out. So far as I know, I'm back to work around September 1 if things keep improving at the current rate.

Last night, I saw what 1:30 am looks like again, but had the alarm set for 7:15. After slapping the snooze button many, many times, I got up a bit before 8.

I could have sworn the flyer said the JC Penney Outlet Store sale started at 9:00, but there were people standing around outside at 9:30. That provided an opportunity to find coffee and breakfast.

Big Ol' Recommendation: Subway has breakfast sandwiches now. They use scrambled whole eggs or just the whites, and you can have cheese, Black Forest Ham, veggies, etc. Also you have a choice of a sandwich bread or a low fat, whole wheat English Muffin.

The calories for egg whites and cheese on the English Muffin were listed as 150. None of the egg white/English muffin combos were more than 190 calories. Compare that to the calories for McDonald's breakfast sandwiches (don't get me started on Burger King and Jack in the Box), and you have a good reason to stop at a Subway if there's one in your area.

I skipped cheese and had egg whites and a slice of Black Forest ham, and a BIG cup of coffee. I felt good--not overly full--and very self-satisfied for being such a good girl.

Did a brisk once-around circuit of Arizona Mills for a bit of exercise before going to shop.

Bought 3 pairs of leggings (one brown), 1 pair of tan jeans and three blouses at Penney's. The weight gain over this past couple of months has left me with very few outfits that could be worn to work (or outside the house, for that matter). While I can zip up my size 14s if I lie on my back on the bed and hold my breath the rest of the day, they are just too uncomfortable, and cut into my body in very obvious and unattractive ways. Slide on a slightly-too-tight blouse over that and you really have a look that says "I've got it goin' ON," meaning a new layer of fat...on my hips and belly.

I have everyday stuff I can wear out to the supermarket: jeans and shorts and loose t-shirts. However, I need to be presentable on a more consistent basis. Thus, my trip back into No-Man's Land for looser clothing. Only the tan jeans are actually a "size" larger (16), everything else is still the XLs I'd been wearing, but of a more forgiving cut. The tunic-over-leggings look has come back at the perfect time for me. The legs look slim, and the long tops cover a multitude of sins. Note to self: Find a pair of ballet flats with an arch in them.

I'm headed back to where I was, weight-wise. I just need to be not naked while I get there again.

Next stop after the outlet mall was Costco to find and order a new pair of eyeglasses. If I'm not mistaken, the little beauties I chose are Oleg Cassini (these, but black), and très chic. They make a huge change in my "look", so it will be interesting to hear and see the reactions when they're ready in about 2 weeks.

While in Costco, one must buy at least a few items in great bulk. For me, this time, it was fruit. I have lots and lots of fruit which may even last the week: strawberries, cherries, golden mangoes, cantaloupe and watermelon...Also veal cutlets, shrimp won ton soup, whole-wheat-high-fiber-low-calorie bread, thinly sliced herb-roasted turkey breast, and a huge veggie tray to pick at during the week when the munchies hit.

I like the new clothes--I just don't want to have to wear them. Let them be a choice, and I'm good with that.

Added happy note: Got a call from Auntie this afternoon. She got a new job! Yayyyy! Mazel Tov, Pam! (knock wood, touch red).

1 comment:

  1. Subway is my favorite fast food restaurant, Sue. I haven't tried their breakfast sandwiches but I know generally they are quite a healthy place to eat. The local Subway also will serve homeless people if I buy them a meal there, and they'll allow them to sit down inside, which many restaurants do not.

    Yay, Auntie got a job! I know jobs are hard to find there and I'm delighted for her.

    Your clothes sound great and just in time to head back to work in September. Nothing wrong with size 16 or XL and you'll be back to a 14 in no time, Sue. You're facing some major challenges so be easy on yourself.

    ReplyDelete